Winterize Your Boat Dock in 5 Easy Steps
Summer is drawing to a close, which means it’s time to prepare for the cold weather and snow. Winterizing your boat dock is an important task for this time of year, and doing it properly will help everything stay in top shape. If you’re not sure where to start, here are 5 easy steps to winterizing your dock:
1. First, remove all accessories you have attached to your dock. This includes things like kayaks and paddleboards that you may have tethered as well as anything else that may be attached.
2. Next, check and tighten all bolts and screws. Some of these may have come loose from wear over the summer, so it’s a good idea to make sure everything is secure before you use your dock again in the spring.
3. It’s always a good idea to clean and seal the decking portion of your dock before the season is over. This way, it can avoid damage that might be caused by algae or other bacteria.
4. If you have a fixed dock, you may want to use a bubbler or de-icer to reduce the amount of ice that is formed around your dock in the winter.
5. Depending on what kind of dock you have, the last step is to either remove it from the water or attach a safety line to it and secure it on a fixed structure on shore, such as a tree. You will also want to detach it from shore the best you can by removing any ramps or steps. This can help avoid shoreline erosion.
Are you ready to find the Up North lake home you’ve always wanted? Contact us today so that we can help you with your search!